informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

7.11.02

Given the outcry, would you have done things differently?


I wouldn't have made the sculpture differently at all. I even regret caving in to Rockefeller Center so fast and saying:
''Yeah, take it away. I don't want to hurt anybody.'' I'm sorry I didn't raise a stink over it. I hate this idea that there are some people who have a right to express their suffering and others who don't, that there are those in this hierarchy of pain who own it more than you do. It's not about necessarily witnessing firsthand that makes the experience. Picasso wasn't at Guernica when it happened; Goya wasn't there on the firing line. This is what a culture looks to art for, to put image, or voice, or context to a way of rethinking, reseeing, re-experiencing

Blog Archive