informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

20.11.02


Do you feel as separate from other Americans as we would imagine or are there loads of people out there like you?

Michael Moore:
I think I'm in the majority of Americans. I believe that I am in the mainstream of middle America. This may come as a surprise to many people here but the majority of people did not vote for George Bush - he lost the election; he got the fewest number of votes. In the last year, just with my book that's been out in the United States, at a time when you've been told that we're all lining up behind Bush, united we stand and all this other crap since September 11, the largest selling non-fiction book since September 11 last year has been something called Stupid White Men starring George W Bush. So I think that this - the book, the film - has resonated with millions of people who otherwise don't have a voice, and don't own media and so you don't see them. You're not supposed to see me, I mean someone like me is not supposed to be on television or making films or writing books.
______________________________
One of my favourite documentaries of all time is Hearts and Minds by Peter Davis. Excellent, excellent film - if you watch just one film about Vietnam, that's the one. There was a Japanese documentary called The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On. It's about a veteran of the second world war who wants to find out what happened to the other privates in his battalion who were left on this island at the end of the war. Near the end of the film, he comes upon the colonel who was in charge of his battalion. When asked if he knew what had happened to the other privates, the colonel said, "Yes. We ate them because we were starving." So the film-maker just sets the camera down and goes over and just.....

Blog Archive