informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

21.9.08

If I say nothing, I have failed:

"It wasn't until after I'd been back that I tried to shut off my experiences in Iraq," Cameron told IPS. "I kept to myself, and was going through my memories and realised we'd destroyed their infrastructure and weren't there to help. I realised it wasn't about freedom and democracy, and the way we conducted ourselves, and the way we brutalised the people, made me against the occupation."

"We were trained to fight and win battles," he said. "I was in artillery, I was trained to blow shit up. We weren't there to rebuild anything or help the Iraqi people."
"It's been so altered...it's not an argument of being on the road to victory because the surge is working, but the fact is that the country has been totally devastated. We need to understand where these people are in just trying to survive on a daily basis."
 Dahr Jamail/IPS

Blog Archive