informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

6.11.03

OK here we go.
The Confederate Flag had a few iterations, the most commonly seen today being the
'Confederate Navy Jack'.

It's actually pretty much of a mistake to think of it as the Confederate flag though, as it was used only on Confederate naval vessels from 1863 to '65.
The actual 'Stars and Bars'

was substantially different.
My personal favorite is the 'Bonny Blue'

(Further reading at Wikipedia.)

This is an essay, and it has two, or maybe three, purposes. The primary one is to let off some steam, the secondary is to bother some people that I don't like. That's most of the reason I write anything these days. Running a distant third there would be making the world a better place.

So Dean says 'we' need to speak to and for the guys with the Confederate flag decals on their pickups. And gets rat-packed as a panderer to racists, and in response he then apologizes.
OK let's start with who, and then work our way around to what. Who's Dean? Evidently a privileged child of capitalist aristocrats, a Dr. of some kind, whether medical or philosophical I don't know yet.
So when Dean says listen to, and respond to what you hear from, people whose political opinions are traditionally seen as the property of corporate media, I think that's a good thing. Dr. Dean's about as white as you can get, so it's not a crossing racial barriers thing, his reaching out, it's economic, or socio-economic.
So he's not being racist. But according to the clamorers the targets of his outreach are. Racists in pickup trucks.But let's wait up on who exactly that is for a bit.
Who's doing the clamoring? I don't have anything like a poll or survey to fall back on but I can guarantee you it's a group of groups, or a group of group leaders, among them the various ethnic defense organizations like the NAACP and the JDL, with probably some of those loose coalitions you hear about all the time thrown in as well. People who think it's not only wrong to be racially prejudiced but who feel that if you are racially prejudiced you're automatically disenfranchised, that it's cause for exclusion.
I'm not as young as I once was, and in that mysterious transition I've run across more than a few instances of racism, covert, obvert, and so deeply ingrained as to seem genetic. And I'm here to tell you it cuts right across every ethnic line you can draw.
Tell me there's no viscious black racism, tell me the Latino culture in California isn't festering with racist nonsense, tell me Jews aren't some of the most racist people around. Well you can't I don't have a comments thing.
Asian racism is profound, both in Japanese and Chinese cultures. I don't know much about Korea. And how many degrees different is the class and caste discrimination of South Asia from actual skin-pigment racism?
Racism is definitely not the exclusive property of poor whites. Something else is driving that backlash against Dean's populist foray. Some of it is probably the attention-crucible of modern celebrity, especially political celebrity. But what else?

Blog Archive