informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

20.5.03

captured by Machination.org May 15, 2003:
At almost 10:40 AM Eastern Time CNN had just returned from a commercial break and went to a live news conference that was already in progress. It was taking place in Baghdad with Lt. General McKiernan, the Coalition Commander of the Land Company, and Major General Buford-Blount, Commander of the 3rd Infantry. Here is a transcript of the entirety of the question I found to be most significant, and the immediate response:

Patrick Thorne, Independent Filmmaker: "My name is Patrick Thorne. I'm an independent film maker from New York. I'm also a Vietnam veteran, and I was in Baghdad for two months. I was arrested by the [phonetically spelled] Maharaj and then expelled from the country and I just came back into Baghdad yesterday. So I didn't see the extent of the damage. I haven't seen this kind of destruction since the carpet bombing of Hanoi. I'm asking you gentlemen a point blank question: are you proud of what you've achieved here in this city and in this country?"

Lt. Gen. McKiernan: "I'm not going to answer that question."

Blog Archive