informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

25.4.03

The Guardian, a British newspaper, printed a number of Rachel's e-mails to her family (strange how gutless the American press is when it comes to Israel). They are a very sad read. She told her mother she had nightmares about bulldozers and tanks, and in one prophetic paragraph said: "When I come back from Palestine, I probably will have nightmares and constantly feel guilty for not being here ... coming here is one of the better things I've ever done. So when I sound crazy, or if the Israeli military should break with their racist tendency not to injure white people, please pin the reason squarely on the fact that I am in the midst of a genocide."

Speaking of the Palestinians, with whom she was living, she wrote: "I know that the situation gets to them � and may ultimately get them � on all kinds of levels, but I am nevertheless amazed at their strength in being able to defend such a large degree of their humanity � laughter, generosity, family time � against the incredible horror occurring in their lives and against the constant presence of death.

"I'm witnessing this chronic, insidious genocide and I'm really scared, and questioning my fundamental belief in the goodness of human nature. This has to stop. I think it is a good idea for us all to drop everything and devote our lives to making this stop. ... I still really want to dance around to Pat Benatar and have boyfriends and make comics for my co-workers. But I also want this to stop. Disbelief and horror is what I feel."

Rachel Corrie.
{many of us are trained to feel immediately wrong whenever we do almost anything. that sounds silly but it's very real. constant self-questioning and doubt. a nagging sense it's wrong to single her out, so many are dying have died will die, but it's not wrong. she was there. she died. it is an abomination. let her stand for the thousand others whose names we haven't heard, may never hear. Rachel Corrie didn't die because she was mistaken or duped or in the wrong place at the wrong time. she died because she was opposing a vicious and psychotic evil, and she did it unarmed, with more bravery than any soldier. especially the soldiers that killed her so cowardly. Rachel Corrie died March 16, some time ago as deaths of this kind go. many other innocents have overtaken her on that road, blasted into eternity by greed and heartlessness. but I remember her. and so does Charlie Reese.}
link path from onegoodmove

Blog Archive