informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

19.2.03

On Thursday I nearly went to the office. The suburb had another indefinite power cut and I didn't know what was happening. My phone rang. The voice said that riots had broken out in Kaduna and Muslims were killing Christians. People were trying to find me and I shouldn't leave the house. That night on national television the Sultan of Sokoto appealed for calm and peace. On the flip side, the minister for Abuja, Nigeria's glossy capital, broke down in front of the camera, weeping that I had blasphemed the prophet.
Then on Friday, riots began in Abuja. We bought every newspaper. I listened to a radio announcement claiming that all those involved with the article would be brought to book. I turned off the radio. The need for normality was what I clung to. I chatted to my brother and sister as if nothing had happened.

fatwa in Nigeria. Isioma Daniel tells her story. Guardian UK 02/17/03
just makes an 'American' feel that much more secure, knowing that kind of thing will never happen here.
{Raiders v. Buccaneers. two opposing, fighting, lined-up-against-each-other teams. fundamentalist Muslims. fundamentalist Christians/Jews. football. religion. fundamentalism is a thing. it has rules the teams play by. the game wins no matter which team comes out on top. like gambling, it's house odds every time.}

Blog Archive