informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

22.2.03

{I did this.
exactly that. when I worked on the docks. not every day. but more than twice. with those tongs in my hands, but not the cap. only in an ice house that had a ceiling maybe 5' 8" high.

so, crouched over and pretty cold while the blocks exactly that size came flying down a ramp from the ice truck, they were heavy and they came fast, you had to catch them and guide them without stopping them, sort of divert them into place or back to the other guy. we had to stack them in tight rows to fit the whole truckload in there, and move quickly, it was a whole semi-truck worth. it was a very old ice house.

the bakery I work at now was once an ice house, and my grandfather worked in it when my mother was a young girl, back in the days when many people still used commercial ice at home to keep food edible.}

Blog Archive