informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

10.7.02

NOLA.com: Creole contretemps "I still walk in and have that sort of visceral gastronomic sensation," he said.
{while we're on the subject of nostalgic idignation or whatever it is...there used to be a filler thing The New Yorker did, little paragraphs from other journalistic media, with oftentimes hidden absurdities or tricky misusings of the lingua mater. and then with the briefest of brief utterances, the coup de gras. I learned wit from that. I did. and a kind of rigor. because who wants to be on the receiving end of such unassailable irony? they keep trying to resurrect it I think, at least every once in a while I'll see one. though it's been years since I saw one that had that zing, that touch, bad writing skewered with perfect ringing clarity, and forbearance, that's the key, forbearance. that we have to live among such idiocies. but in spite of all that, we do manage to go on, we do go on.
"visceral gastronomic sensations".
indeed.}

Blog Archive