informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

17.12.08

international solidarity with the Shministim:

We are U.S. military servicemembers and veterans who have refused or are currently refusing to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We stand in solidarity with the Israeli Shministim (Hebrew for 12th graders) who are also resisting military service. About 100 Israeli high school students have signed an open letter declaring their refusal to serve in the Israeli army and their opposition to "Israeli occupation and oppression policy in the occupied territories and the territories of Israel." In Israel, military service is mandatory for all graduating high school seniors, and resisters face the possibility of years in prison.

We have also refused to participate in unjust acts of military aggression, and many of us have gone to prison or currently live with that possibility as a result. We believe that resistance to unjust war is a bold assertion of humanity in the face of overwhelming violence.
The Global War on Terror, like the Israeli occupation, is propped up by racism and dehumanization and sets the stage for never-ending war and occupation. We are inspired by the brave refusal of our brothers and sisters in Israel to take part in these destructive policies, and we want to let them know today, December 18th--the day of international solidarity with the Shministim, that they have our deepest respect and support.
Courage To Resist
-
via Mondoweiss
: - : - : - : - : - : - : - :
Once in a while some relative, stranger on the street or one of my commanders would say "Well done! You are doing tremendously important work". I received so much praise for the work that I did, frankly, not too well. But I was glad. I was glad that people understand that the fact I am working with children and helping them get ahead, both academically and emotionally, is important. Nobody ever told me they don't understand why I am doing this and nobody ever blamed me for not doing my share for the defence of my homeland. as any boy or girl my age should.

Now, that is all very interesting, because in recent years, since I was discharged from the army, I am doing work that is no worse, and no less significant, than the work I was doing in the army, and for some reason nobody stares at me in the street with pride in their eyes, or gives me a discount price for my falafel. People hear that I am enrolled at a teachers academy and ask with a tone of amazement, or disgust, or both: "What, you want to be a teacher?"
The Duty to Volunteer
Yael Shiloh 18.May.05
New Profile

Blog Archive