informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

18.5.06

Every target is documented


Uh-huh, yeah, right, sure, okay:
Wisconsin Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, is proposing that ISPs be required to record information about Americans' online activities so that police can more easily "conduct criminal investigations." Executives at companies that fail to comply would be fined and imprisoned for up to one year.
-
Hayden Defends Legality of NSA Surveillance:
"We always balance privacy and security and we do it within the law," he added. "I can certainly understand why someone would be concerned.
... The privacy of American citizens is a concern constantly, it's a concern in this program, and it's a concern in everything we've done."
-
from Hayden's opening statement at his confirmation hearing, 05.May.06:
"Let me be more specific about the broad vision I have for CIA, if I am confirmed. First, I will begin with the collection of human intelligence. If confirmed as Director, I would reaffirm CIA's proud culture of risk-taking and excellence, particularly through the increased use of non-traditional operational platforms, a greater focus on the development of language skills, and the inculcation of what I would call an expeditionary mentality. I strongly believe that the men and women of CIA already want to take risks to collect the intelligence we need to keep America safe.
I view it as the Director's job to ensure that these operators have the right incentives, rewards, support, and leadership to take those risks. My job is to set the conditions for success."
[...]
In my view both of these initiatives - working with foreign partners and information sharing within the U.S. - require that we change the paradigm from one that operates on a "transactional" basis of exchange (they ask, we provide) in favor of a premise of "common knowledge, commonly shared" or "information access."
This would entail opening up more data and databases to other IC agencies as well as trusted foreign partners, restricting the use of the overused "originator controlled" caveat, and, fundamentally, embracing more of a risk management approach to the sharing of information.
Finally, everything I have said today matters little without the people - the great men and women of the CIA whom, if confirmed, I would lead - but also the people of this great Nation.
Respectfully, Senators, I believe that the intelligence business has too much become the football in American political discourse.

Blog Archive