informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

21.2.05

Voltairine de Cleyre
Exquisite Rebel

"In a time when the law treated women like chattel, "Voltairine de Cleyre's whole life," says Avrich, "was a revolt against this system of male domination which, like every other form of tyranny and exploitation, ran contrary to her anarchistic spirit. "That such a brilliant, unusual woman would be a feminist is no surprise. " Let every woman ask herself," cried Voltairine, "Why am I the slave of Man? Why is my brain said not to be equal of his brain? Why is my work not paid equally with his? Why must my body be controlled by my husband? Why may he take my children away from me? Will them away while yet unborn? Let every woman ask." "There are two reasons why," Voltairine answered in her essay "Sex and Slavery" "and these ultimately reducible to a single principle - the authoritarian supreme power GOD-idea, and its two instruments - the church - that is, the priests - the State - that is, the legislators...These two things, the mind domination of the Church and the body domination of the State, are the causes of Sex Slavery."
-
"It is the old story: "Aim at the stars, and you may hit the top of the gatepost; but aim at the ground and you will hit the ground."
-
link path Society of Control

Blog Archive