informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

1.1.05

My favorite niece writes to say I didn't mention "the animals". The news spread quickly online that "the animals" were all spared, presumably by having a "sixth sense" that caused them to head for higher ground.
Well I didn't mention it because it's a bogus piece of p.r. that points to exactly the weird and paranoia-inducing inconsistencies that are much too common everywhere now.
We're talking about a moment post-disaster when the human toll was still indeterminate, when whole regions were still unheard from, when even in those places with communication infrastructure the body counts were a matter of conjecture and there was almost no co-ordinated whole-system view.
And "the animals" were all safe. And we knew that because we just knew it. Because the nice people told us it was so.
And I'm not nice, so that's why I didn't mention it.

Blog Archive