informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

31.1.03

The view from the roof was not alarming, yet. I played around with the hose, working out how to spray the tiles and the trees I could see from my vantage point. The fires were getting closer, but not too close. I still had time to go back down and check with my wife, Lyndsey, what we would do if the fires came closer. She was going to stay out the back and keep the decking wet and I was to get back on the roof and put out flying embers as they landed. Looking back, the ignorance and naivety is almost comical.

Blog Archive