informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

9.1.03

And we're marchin' south in the pouring rain
A D
We're all goin' down to Dixieland

I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and we fight for Chamberlain
'Cause he stood right with us when the Johnnies came like a banshee on the wind
In the smoke smeared hell of Gettysburg many a mother wept
For many a good boy died there, sure, and the air smelt just like death
I am the Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I marched to hell and back again
For Colonel Joshua Chamberlain - we're all goin' down to Dixieland

I am the Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man
Well we come from the farms and the city streets and a hundred foreign lands
And we spilled our blood in the battle's heat
Now we're all Americans
I am the Kilrain of the 20th Maine did I tell you friend I'm a fightin' man
And I'll not be back this way again, 'cause we're all goin' down to Dixieland

Steve Earle's Dixieland

Blog Archive