informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

27.3.02

Silicon Valley | 03/27/2002 | Journalistic Pivot Points Dan Gillmor_I was blogging a session on wireless technology, and wrote something about SkyPilot, one of the presenting companies. Duncan Davidson, SkyPilot's CEO, finished his presentation and sat on the podium, reading on his laptop, while other people talked.
Then, in the Q&A, he corrected something I'd written in the blog. In other words, he'd caught this in near-real time and had better information (he should). I immediately posted another paragraph, which began, "I've been corrected...."
Whoa. I'm still not entirely sure what happened. But I do know this. My journey in journalism hit a pivot in that moment. Maybe journalism itself hit a pivot point, as pretentious as that sounds.
All I know for sure is that I'm jazzed that it happened, and I'm going to think about it, hard.

{the moment when self-knowing, self-consciousness first burned through the nervous system, it's like that - gillmor's right. if only there weren't so many other things happening at the same time, but it was probably like that back then too. picture this: cro-magnon dude staring at hand, touching own face, staring at landscape, hand, touch, and the shock of the self reflecting the self, the hall of mirrors of identity opening out and out. and huge predacious mammals roaring in the distance, memories of two nights ago the raid from out of nowhere by who the hell knows who, and winter coming on, and what that meant back then. and on and on. but it does seem hard to hold the persepective right now, a portentous moment. prosthetic merging, and at the same time o jesus washington o god tel aviv, holy shit jerusalem....}

Blog Archive