informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

20.1.07

stellar gibberish solidified:

Since the days of American astronomer Edwin Hubble, observers have known that all but the nearest galaxies are moving away from us at a rapid rate. This rate is proportional to distance: the more distant a galaxy is, the faster its recession. Such a pattern implied that galaxies are not moving through space in the conventional sense but are being carried along as the fabric of space itself stretches
Scientific American Feb. 07
-
It may well be that what the writer intended to say is substantially different than what he ended up saying, this happens. But as it's presented what we're supposed to believe is that "all but the nearest galaxies are moving away from us at a rapid rate". Making us by default the center of the universe. This seems unlikely.
Possibly something else is happening. Possibly something else has been happening all along.
I wanted to be a cosmologist when I was a kid. I can remember the lady behind the counter at the draft board reading that on some form I'd filled out, and asking me if I wasn't, mm, well, didn't I think I was maybe well, it seemed a little unusual for a guy like me, to want to be a hairdresser.

Blog Archive