informant38
.

-
...But of these sophisms and elenchs of merchandise I skill not...
Milton, Areopagitica

Except he had found the
standing sea-rock that even this last
Temptation breaks on; quieter than death but lovelier; peace
that quiets the desire even of praising it.

Jeffers, Meditation On Saviors


-

27.7.05

Diamond Girl
baghdad
British supermodel Lily Cole, the current face of De Beers, has stated that she is refusing to work for De Beers again, over claims that Bushmen were evicted to make way for future diamond mining in Botswana. Her statement follows lobbying from human rights organisation Survival International. Lily tells Survival, "I was unaware of these matters when I was booked for the shoot."
Stephen Corry, Director of Survival International said: "I am delighted that Lily has heeded our advice and understands the human suffering that diamonds are causing the Bushmen. I now urge other models not to work for De Beers. De Beers must realise that the only way out of this is for the Bushmen to be given back their land."
Lily Cole is not the first model to quit working for De Beers. Supermodel Iman famously quit as the face of De Beers after meeting with Survival International. Meanwhile British supermodel Erin O'Connor distanced herself from De Beers stating "I don't think that doing a job like (being the face of De Beers) would in any way add to my life or make me happy. I would make that stand, and say 'no'."
-
Seven Bushmen have been tortured this month by wildlife officials in Kaudwane, a relocation camp close to the Central Kalahari Game Reserve. Some report that they were tortured a number of times over three days in early June.
Survival
-
De Beers strongly denies any link with anything but eternal love
-
long I38 archive post on De Beers, the company that began the practice of apartheid in South Africa, and the artificially created tradition linking diamonds to engagement and marriage.

Blog Archive